As the end of my interdisciplinary journey within my higher educational career inches closer, I am in need of choosing a topic for my research article as well as for my applied project. Both of these assignments will illustrate what I have learned through my education. I am aiming both my research and project topics towards my major of Event Management & Planning.
Easier said than done, here are my five choices for my research article:
- Topic: The continued innovation of Event Technology & its effects on the greater industry
- Challenges of this topic: The topic is inclusive of many elements within the industry. As well as, the event technology is constantly changing so this research will be an ever-evolving topic.
- Disciplines included in topic: This topic would include the disciplines of marketing, business, informational technology, and art.
- Topic: Does the design of an event really matter?
- Challenges of this topic: This topic might be difficult to research due to a lack of scientific based sources. This topic also may face challenges such as contradictory information depending on which sources are used.
- Disciplines included in topic: This topic would include the disciplines of design, marketing, and business.
- Topic: The best ways to market an event to all audiences
- Challenges of this topic: This topic may have very contradictory information, again depending on the sources used. This topic also is very broad, which would allow many different sources, but could be confusing once put all together.
- Disciplines included in topic: Marketing is the main discipline of this topic, but business, design, and communications are also very important disciplines.
- Topic: Negotiating Event Contracts, troubles & solutions
- Challenges of this topic: This topic may not have extensive sources on it already. Another challenge is that the source that can be found may not be relevant to the Event Industry specifically.
- Disciplines included in topic: The disciplines included would be marketing, business, and communications.
- Topic: The Event Industry: One of the top stressful industries
- Challenges of this topic: Again, this topic may have limited sources to draw from for research. The topic may need to expand to a wider industry related stress.
- Disciplines included in topic: This topic would include the disciplines of business and health.
My research topic will also allow me to better understand certain elements of planning and managing an event. My possible applied project topics include:
- Project: End of the Semester Interdisciplinary Event
- Impact of project: This would allow me to illustrate my capabilities to my peers and mentors. This event would allow me to give back to the program that made me love learning again.
- Challenges of project: Funding for this event might be difficult to gain since it is not the end of the school year yet. Establishing the venue on campus might also be a challenge with this event.
- Project: My parent’s 30th Wedding Anniversary Party
- Impact of project: This would be the biggest event of these choices. This would allow me to proudly show off what I have learned and what I can do to friends, family, and followers.
- Challenges of project: The timeline may be a big issue with this event. Figuring out the event logistics of where, when, and how the event might take place will be a challenge as well.
- Project: Humane Society Fundraising Event
- Impact of project: This event would allow me to illustrate what I have learned of planning an event, as well as establishing an event to go towards a good cause.
- Challenges of project: Gaining the funds and company to implement an event for may be challenging. Dealing with regulations and laws where the event is to be held might be a huge challenge as well.
- Project: Plan and implement a holiday party for friends and family
- Impact of project: This project would allow me to put to test all of the information I have learned to this point. This would also allow my friends and family, who have supported me greatly, to experience what I have been working on.
- Challenges of project: Having funds to create such an event would be a great challenge for this event. The timeline would also be very tight to establish a venue for the event.
- Project: Develop a “How-to” videos, small books, and charts on planning an event
- Impact of project: This project would allow all people to have a realistic layout of how to plan and implement an event, with elements such as step-by-step instructions and flow charts of what to do first.
- Challenges of project: Gather and citing all the correct information might be a challenge. Also establishing an audience may be a challenge.
As you can see, there are many different options, that each have their positives and negative. As an event manager, I constantly have creative event-related thought rolling through my mind. To have the chance to implement some of these thoughts in order to show off the knowledge my education brought me is so exciting! I would love to hear your thoughts on which topic and project would be fun to see!